Quick Links

Our Medical Provider

Our Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance Provider

How and When to Enroll


COBRA Notice (PDF)

Health Insurance Marketplace Notice (PDF)

Turning 65

Our Medical Provider

Based on the medical plan chosen, employees may pay a premium per pay. Click here for our Medical Plan Selection Form. If you are covered by another medical insurance plan, you may choose to receive Opt Out Funds.

When does coverage start?
Coverage for new hires begins on the first of the month following your date of hire, assuming all completed forms are received by Human Resources and Finance. During a Life Status Change Event, coverage begins on the first of the month following the event. For changes made during our annual Open Enrollment period (normally occurs in February), the new coverage begins March 1.

When does coverage end?
Coverage carries until the last day of the month in which your employment terminates. If your dependent is turning 26, coverage ends at the end of the month in which they turn 26.

Medical Mutual of Ohio
    If employees need assistance, they can contact:
    Customer Service (medical only) - 1-800-525-5957
    Customer Service (RX only) - 1-800-417-1961
    Nurse Line - 1-888-912-0636
Website - https://www.medmutual.com

Our Dental, Vision and Life Insurance Provider

If employees need assistance, they can contact:
Customer Service - 1-877-814-8970
Dental - 1-800-541-7846
Vision - 1-877-814-8970
Website - https://www.guardiananytime.com

How and When to Enroll

Generally, there are three times when you can enroll in or may be able to change your benefits:
    Newly hired, or
    After experiencing a qualified Life Status Change Event, or
    During Open Enrollment


These forms are needed when enrolling or making changes to your benefits.

Employee Benefit Selection Form
Medical Mutual Enrollment/Change Form
Guardian Enrollment/Change Form
Change of Address Form
Ohio Deferred Compensation Enrollment Form
HSA Payroll Deduction Form

If you are a New Employee:
Medical, dental and vision benefits require that you enroll by completing the appropriate forms and returning them, along with the required dependent supporting documentation, to Human Resources. If you fail to enroll in medical, dental or vision insurance within the allotted timeframe, you may be subject to additional premium pays or defaulted to no coverage. You will not be entitled to the Cash in Lieu of Medical benefit or vision coverage. You will be unable to enroll in a medical, dental or vision plan until the next Open Enrollment period, usually in February, with coverage effective March 1st.

If you have a Life Status Change Event:
If you are an employee with more than 30 days of service, you may begin, change or cancel your medical, dental or vision coverage as defined by Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Code and allowed by our plan. Life events such as the birth of a child, adoption, marriage, divorce, and deaths are some examples of Life Status Change Events.

You are required to notify the HR Service Center of any change in your family status. You have only 30 days from the date of marriage, birth or adoption to add a new dependent.

Generally, medical, dental or vision plan changes are not allowed until the next Open Enrollment period without a qualifying Life Status Change Event. To change your coverage during Open Enrollment, forms must be returned to Human Resources by the specified deadlines.

Contact Human Resources within 30 days if….
    You change your address
    Your marital status changes
    Your dependents change
    Your spouse or dependent dies
    You, your spouse or a dependent becomes eligible for Medicare

What to Do When You Are Turning 65, Are Actively Employed and Have Medical Coverage

When you are turning 65, you are eligible to apply for Medicare during your Initial Enrollment Period.  You can sign up any time during the 7-month Initial Enrollment Period which begins 3 months before the month you turn 65, includes the month you turn 65 and ends 3 months after the month you turn 65.

Enrollment in Medicare is not automatic when you reach age 65, so you will need to take steps to sign up for Part A and/or Part B.  In most cases, there is no cost to enroll in Part A but there is a cost to enroll in Part B. You can delay enrollment in Part B while you are still working and medical coverage.  Please note, you can sign up for Part B without a penalty any time you have medical coverage while still working for the city.

If you don't sign up for Part B when first eligible, you also have an 8-month Special Enrollment Period to sign up that starts the month after your employment ends.  In most instances, you don't pay a late enrollment penalty if you sign up during a Special Enrollment Period.  Keep in mind, COBRA and retiree health plans aren't considered coverage based on active employment. You're not eligible for a Special Enrollment Period when that coverage ends.

Most people will pay the standard monthly Part B premium, but some may pay a higher premium based on their income. If you file an individual tax return and your modified adjusted gross income is $85,000 or more, or if you file a joint tax return and it is $170,000 or more, your monthly Medicare Part B premium may be higher than the standard premium.

If you enroll in Part A and/or Part B while still working, your city medical coverage will pay primary to your Medicare coverage.  That means your medical expenses must be billed to the city health coverage first and then to Medicare if there is a balance.  It may not make sense to enroll in and pay for Part B when you have city medical coverage while still working.  It is recommended that you sign up for Part A when first eligible because there is no cost to enroll. Also, if you have Part A coverage when your medical coverage based on active employment ends, you still have the right to elect COBRA coverage, and COBRA coverage may not be terminated early because of Medicare entitlement.

To sign up for Medicare Part A, you can:
    Apply online at Social Security
    Visit your local Social Security Office
    Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213

When you employment ends, three things happen:
You have 8 months to sign up for Part B without a penalty. (This is the special enrollment period), whether or not you choose COBRA. If you choose COBRA, don’t wait until your COBRA ends to enroll in Part B. If you don’t enroll in Part B during the 8-month Special Enrollment Period, you may have to pay a penalty. And, you will not be able to enroll until January 1 – March 31 for a July 1st effective date of coverage.

You will be offered COBRA coverage, which continues your current medical coverage (for only 18 months) and at the full monthly premium rate, not just the employee contribution amount. If you already have Medicare Part A, you have the right to elect COBRA coverage (and COBRA coverage may not be terminated early because of Medicare entitlement). Medicare coverage will pay primary and COBRA coverage will pay secondary. If you sign up for Medicare after you elect COBRA coverage, your COBRA coverage will end when your Medicare coverage becomes effective.

For more information about enrolling in Medicare, its benefits and costs, please visit www.medicare.gov.